These light and fluffy oatmeal pancakes are made with whole grain spelt flour and oats, and get their sweet, nutty flavor from butternut squash.
Considering the length of the title, I’m not sure I even need to write a post. It would take someone five minutes just to get past the title. 😉 I feel a little ridiculous publishing a recipe with five words in the description, but hey. All of those words are VERY important for an accurate presentation of these delicious pancakes.
To prove my point:
- Butternut squash – a slightly sweet and delicious squash that tastes amazing in baked goods and is nutritious. Why not eat it in pancakes? I mean, that’s basically like eating a vegetable for breakfast, right? So, I put that in the title because everyone has to know about this delicious way to eat vegetables for breakfast.
- Spelt flour – I am trying to get more adventurous and learn about different types of flours besides regular whole wheat flour (which is mostly what I use). I supplement some of the wheat flour with almond flour on occasion, but not all the time. (Almond flour, while nutritious, is high in calories and fat and is best used in moderation.) Other than that, my knowledge of flours is limited. So, these pancakes are the start of an attempt to expand said knowledge. Spelt flour has a light, fluffy texture and a slightly earthy taste, and is delicious in the baked goods I have tried so far. It is lighter than whole wheat flour and requires less moisture per cup, so it takes some experimenting to get used to it. I’m excited to start sharing recipes using spelt, and the next flour I want to try is kamut (recipes for that coming soon too, hopefully). For those of you who are curious as to where I get these flours, I buy the berries whole and grind them myself in my grain mill. I purchase spelt, kamut, and wheat berries from Country Life Natural Foods. I also get my Sucanat from this company; they have very affordable prices! (Note: This is not a paid advertisement. I just like their products.)
- Oatmeal – because oats make everything better and they are so tasty and good for you!
- Pancakes – enough said.
Butternut Squash Spelt Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
In a large bowl, stir together spelt flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in eggs, squash, milk, and vanilla until blended. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto lightly greased moderately hot griddle OR a lightly greased skillet over medium low heat.
Cook until undersides are golden and top of pancakes form bubbles. Flip and cook until other sides are golden.
~K in the Kitchen