Turkey Black Bean Taco Quesadillas – Ground turkey, black beans, bell peppers and red onion are cooked in seasonings and taco sauce, packed into whole wheat tortillas, topped with mozzarella cheese, and then toasted in the oven.
Before I share this recipe, let me quickly tell you two things:
1. These Turkey Black Bean Taco Quesadillas aren’t as complicated as they sound. The recipe is actually quite simple and great for a busy weeknight. So don’t let the ridiculously long name stop you here. 🙂
2. Also, these “quesadillas” are not true quesadillas in the traditional sense, so try not to yell at me about that. 😉 I kind of combined a soft taco and something resembling a quesadilla into one dish and it turned out to be delicious. Therefore, I am sharing it!
When I served these for dinner, my husband tried to eat mine. That’s how I know he really likes something, is if he tries to sneak some of my food.
Important side note: all husbands, listen up. Never, ever try to swipe a bite of your wife’s food without express permission. If you try it and barely escape injury (or come away with minor injuries), don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Enjoy, everyone! 🙂
Turkey Black Bean Taco Quesadillas
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup taco sauce (we like Taco Bell brand)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (or cheddar) cheese
In large skillet or pan, brown turkey over medium heat. Drain off any extra grease. Add chopped bell peppers, red onion, black beans, taco sauce, and seasonings and stir. Let cook partially covered over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes or until peppers and onion are tender.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Lay tortillas on baking sheets and spoon 1/6th of turkey mixture onto half of each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/6th of the cheese. Fold other half of tortilla over top. Place quesadillas in oven for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges of tortillas are crispy. Enjoy!
~K in the Kitchen